Thursday, March 6, 2008

Issues - new book and stuff

I have taken an issue with the announcement by Sisters-in Crime to delete the small presses from their books in print booklet. This should have been up to a vote of the membership not done by management. A lot of their members are published by small presses and this is a slap in the face. It is about time the bookstores and libraries worked with smaller presses. This has caused a lot of e-mail and blog traffic on the subject and most of it is not good. I think Sisters in Crime made a monumental mistake. This will and should cost them membership. Okay, now I'll get off my soap box.
Last night I sent me latest work to the publisher for reading. It was a long effort to finish it but after a number of rewrites and going through two critique groups, I think it was finally ready. It is about a retired engineer from California who moved to a small Texas town and writes a newspaper column under a woman's name because it is a handy hints column. He inherits a Confederate soldier's journal and this starts a wild, and dangerous ride to locate a long lost treasure, even though people around him are kidnapped, killed and have bad things happen (it is a mystery after all). It has a lot of action and suspense in it too. I've started another book in my old Virginia Davies series again.
In the mean time, I was appointed to the Library Advisory Board by the City and will go to my first meeting next week. This should be interesting.

No comments: